Translate

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Karma's Story

See this little dog, right here. This is Karma. I know what you are most likely thinking. Karma is a bitch. Funny. But, that is not how little girl got her name. You see, this little girl didn't always look like this. Her story started on a much darker note. Oh, she was still the same happy little puppy that she is now. That was, indeed, her saving grace.

Karma's story began a little over three years ago. Before I even came into the picture. At the end of the summer a women came in to the veterinary hospital that I had worked out with a puppy. She had just rescued a little dog, but she knew that there was something seriously wrong with the puppy. More importantly, she knew that she was in over her head.


That little puppy was Karma, then called a different name long since forgotten. I've been told it didn't fit the personality of the little dog. What was wrong with the puppy? Well, for starters, she had no fur. The little dog was covered in open wounds. The lymph nodes in her neck were swollen to nearly the size of tennis balls. Oh, and she smelled. The poor thing had a double ear infection and was under weight. To say that she was suffering would be an understatement.

But, that's the thing. She wasn't acting like a dog in pain. She didn't behave like she was sick. She was  wagging her little crooked tail and trying to lick the faces of anyone she could get close enough to reach. Which, didn't please the staff too much. Imagine a little greasy dog, with no fur, and large seeping wounds trying to lick your face. Just think of the potential zoonotic diseases. But, that little happy, sick, puppy was winning the hearts of the staff.

The veterinarian knew what was wrong with the puppy. She let the women know that it was treatable, but it would like a lot of time. Of course, anyone that has a pet knows that veterinary care can be expensive. To say that this little puppy's care would be expensive would be an understatement. The women said that she could barely afford to feed the dog and would never be able to afford the vet bills. Without veterinary care the puppy would further suffer and could die.

A charity was contacted. After looking into the case in great detail they determined that even if they covered the veterinary care the women would not be able to take care of the dog. They offered to euthanize. The women was apathetic. The veterinarian was not sold on the idea, but there did not seem to be another option.


So, what exactly was wrong with Karma? She had generalized demodex mange, various bacterial and fungal injections in her skin and ears, and she was underweight. All of which could be treated.

One of the veterinary assistants heard what was going to happen to the little puppy and she stepped in. She felt strongly that the little dog was not ready to die. Typically a dog with her illnesses would be in pain, withdrawn, and subdued. But, this little puppy was actively trying to meet anyone she could and give them as many kisses as they would allow. She was a fighter. So, the vet assistant let the veterinarian know that if the owner wished to sign her over to the hospital she would take the puppy and cover all of the veterinary expenses. She offered to rehabilitate the puppy and then find her a home when she was well.

The woman agreed to sign the puppy over to the hospital. The vet assistant named the little puppy Karma. She felt that she had such overwhelming positive energy that she passed it on to everyone that she met. Treatment began immediately. It was a long, hard fought, battle. There were so many tests done, medications prescribed, and in hospital treatment was frequent. Nearly five months later I was hired on at the veterinary hospital.


My third day of work I was cornered. I had quickly become friends with the vet assistant that had rescued little Karma. Even though I had no interest in her breed, or small dogs with smushed in faces in general I agreed to take her home for a few nights. When I first met her I was nervous. I had never been solely responsible for another living being. Sure, I had pets growing up, but my parents did all of the hard work. I didn't know how I would do taking care of a dog. Especially, a dog that was receiving daily medications to get over a serious infection.

Karma walked on a leash, but she chased after ever person we met on our way home. She ran around my car as I drove. And she was overly excited to make her way up the stairs to the apartment. After running around and playing with my roommates she tired herself out. I set up her food and water bowls and decided that we should head to bed. That little dog jumped right up into the bed, buried under the covers, and snuggled right up next to me.

It was a beautiful moment. It felt like a moment from a movie. This little dog chose me. She wanted to be with me. She loved me already. I knew in that moment that I would not be giving Karma back. She was mine. I would take care of her, protect her, and make sure that she wanted for nothing. And from that moment on it would be Karma and I going through life together.

Karma came in to my life for a reason. She helped to restore my faith in humanity. My coworker had taken on the little puppy without a second thought, because it was the right thing to do, but she could have just let it go as it wasn't her problem. That woman could have just as easily refused to sign over the puppy and taken her home to suffer and die. The veterinarian could have euthanized the puppy and gone on with her day.

Karma was given a second chance at life. She came in to my life at a time when I was most in need of a friend. A companion. She truly does spread good Karma. She makes me happy. She brings a smile to nearly everyone she meets. She is a ray of sunshine that always shines through the darkest, cloud filled sky.

The point of Karma's story is not to lay blame. Everything happens for a reason. Karma is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met, and that is without biased I assure you. (And let me tell you, I have met a lot of dog in my life since I work at a veterinary hospital). I guess if we could all be like Karma, maybe the world will be a better place.




No comments:

Post a Comment